Come work with us!
The Local Tongue is a global guide to eating and drinking like a local. We publish guides to where the world’s best chefs and food writers love to eat and drink in their home city.
These guides celebrate everything from neighbourhood restaurants to fine diners. Most important of all, they celebrate the power of food to bring people together.
The Local Tongue is growing and looking for regional editors to help provide more in-depth coverage of food cities around the world.
Initially, we are looking to hire a regional editor for each region listed below. Additional regional editors will be hired in future.
- United States of America (3 roles)
- United Kingdom and Ireland
- Turkey, Greece and The Balkans
- Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovenia
- Spain and Portugal
- Germany and Poland
- Netherlands and Belgium
Each position is a part-time and would suit a food journalist/commentator. Successful applicants will work closely with and report to the managing editor and help shape The Local Tongue’s coverage of their region.
What you’ll do
- Identify local experts (namely chefs and food and drink writers) in your region that intimately know their city’s local hospitality scene and are passionate about celebrating and supporting it.
- Interview these experts about their favourite local restaurants and bars.
- Transcribe the interview using a provided service; edit the interview for clarity and brevity and preserve the expert’s voice and personality.
- Deliver a minimum of four guides for your region each month.
- Write attention-grabbing sub-heads for each guide and a biography for each expert interviewed.
- Maintain good relationships with contributing experts.
- Reach out to contributing experts every six months to update their guides.
- Ensure all copy adheres to The Local Tongue style guide and editorial standards.
- Assist the managing editor to identify potential story and coverage opportunities within your assigned region.
- Assist The Local Tongue team to meet its editorial calendar goals.
- Help define how The Local Tongue celebrates food and restaurant culture.
- Help visitors to your region discover and support local food and drink businesses.
- Write an editor’s letter for The Local Tongue newsletter every six months.
What you’ll bring to the role:
- A deep a knowledge of the food and restaurant culture in your region.
- A love for restaurants and knowledge of the local dining scene.
- Established connections with food experts in your region.
- A desire to support local food communities and systems in your region.
- A drive to build The Local Tongue’s reputation as the number one source for restaurant and bar recommendations in your region.
- Experience in food journalism with strong interviewing skills. Prior experience covering chefs and restaurants is a plus.
- Strong writing and editing skills and impeccable attention to detail.
Successful applicants would be hired as a part-time consultant role and paid a monthly retainer.
How to apply:
To apply, please submit a résumé, cover letter, and three clips of stories that you have edited or written to firstname.lastname@example.org. Clips can either be linked in your cover letter or included as additional pages to your cover letter.
In your cover letter, please address the following questions:
- What appeals to you about working at The Local Tongue?
- What would be your approach to discovering experts to feature on the platform?
- What current guides on the platform stand out to you? Why?
- What kind of venues in your region would you love to shine a light on?
Please include any other information that provides a sense of how you think, write and edit.
Applications close Monday 20 September.